Winter Shut Off Protection:

Medical Emergencies: If someone in your home has a serious medical condition and you’ve been scheduled for shutoff, it’s possible to have the shutoff postponed for up to 21 days. You must provide us with a written statement from a doctor, public health official or social service official stating that a service shut off would aggravate an existing medical condition of someone living in the home. If necessary, the postponement may be extended by renewing the medical notice. Call Customer Service for details.

Senior Citizens: If you are age 65 or older you will not be shut off for non payment of a past due utility bill during the winter heating season- November 1 through March 31. You may also arrange for a copy of any shutoff notice issued to you to be mailed to a relative or friend. You should contact our office to join our S.O.S. Club for Seniors Over Sixty-Five if you haven’t done so already.

Shutoff protection for Customers on Active Duty in the Military: If you or your spouse has a utility bill in your name and you are called to full-time military service by the President of the United States or the Governor of Michigan during a time of state of emergency or war, you may apply for shut-off protection from your natural gas service for up to 90 days. Your utility company will request verification of this active duty status.

Low Income Customers: If you meet low income eligibility requirements, you will not be shut off for non payment of past due utility bill during the heating season if you agree to:

  • Pay a minimum of 7% per month of your annual heating bill and make monthly payments of 1/12 of any past due bills.
  • Demonstrate within 14 days that you have made application of heating assistance.

Participation does not relieve customers from the responsibility for paying for their natural gas usage, but does prevent shut-off during the winter months. At the end of the protection period, both low-income and senior citizens participating in the plan must make arrangements with us to pay any money owed.

Unexpected Financial Problems: If you are having a temporary problem such as layoff or illness which may hinder your ability to pay, contact our office. We may be able to work out a payment arrangement to help you through the heating season.


These programs are administered by the Michigan Department of Human Services…

Home Heating Credit: Low income households in Michigan should file for a Home Heating Credit with the Department of Treasury. Applications will be available from tax preparers and public libraries in late January. Forms will be mailed to homes which receive DHS assistance. If you are 60 years of age or older, you may request assistance completing the form(s) by calling Lenawee Department on Aging at 517-264-5280. Other qualifying customers may request assistance from Citizens Gas Fuel Company at 517-265-2144. DHS also provides tax form assistance.

State Emergency Relief (SER): This program pays for home heating or electricity in emergency situations, and is available to all low income households in Michigan. They may also pay for energy related home repairs or furnace replacement. Households receiving DHS assistance may be eligible, in addition to others who are determined to be eligible by the department of Human Services. Contact the Lenawee Department of Human Services at 517-264-6300. If you have questions, you can call the Energy Hotline, toll free at 1-800-292-5650.


These Programs are administered by various local agencies…

Energy Related Home Improvements: Renters, as well as homeowners, with low household incomes, may be eligible for free weatherization services which can reduce heating costs. If you have never previously been assisted through this program, call the Community Action Agency, 400 W. South St., Adrian at 517-263-7861.

PIP or Property Improvement Program: Low interest loans are available from the Michigan State Housing Development Authority for improvements which can help reduce utility bills. If you own or are buying your home and your gross annual income is within the guidelines you may be eligible. This program is available throughout the county while funds remain.

Red Cross Heat Bank: Each year, Citizens Gas Fuel Company and a number of its customers contribute to the heat bank. These funds are administered by the Lenawee County Chapter of American Red Cross. In order to be eligible you must :

  • Be 60 or older, handicapped or disabled
  • Demonstrate a financial need
  • Have shutoff notice
  • Have been denied assistance by the Lenawee Family Independence Agency

If you qualify, please contact the American Red Cross of Southeast Michigan at (313) 833-4440.

Michigan Veteran’s Trust Fund Assistance: If you are a wartime veteran of the armed forces, or a dependent or widow of a wartime veteran, and you have an emergency financial need, you may be eligible for trust fund assistance through the Lenawee County Department of Veterans Affairs. Eligibility is determined on a case by case basis and all other forms of assistance must be exhausted first. Call Veterans Affairs at 517-264-5335 for more information and an appointment.

SSI or Supplemental Security Income: Financially needy people who are at least 65 or disabled may qualify for Supplemental Security Income. If your income is less than $674/mo. ($1,011/mo. for a couple), the Social Security Administration may be able to pay you additional money through the SSI program. Call 1-800-772-1213 for additional information.

Miscellaneous Energy Assistance: Special funds are administered by various local agencies. These funds are usually limited and you must meet certain qualifications to apply. The following agencies may offer energy or other assistance:

  • The Salvation Army
    247 West Church St., Adrian
    Phone: 517-265-2038
  • American Red Cross of Southeast Michigan
    Phone: 313-833-4440
  • Lenawee Department on Aging
    1040 S. Winter St., Suite. 3003,  Adrian
    Phone: 517-264-5280
  • Community Action Agency
    400 West South St., Adrian
    Phone: 517-263-7861
  • Department of Human Services (FIA)
    1040 S. Winter St., Suite 3013, Adrian
    Phone: 517-264-6300

*Please note that all of the mentioned programs are subject to change.